Modal Analysis

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Fri, 09 May 2003 18:46:57 -0400

Del,
         I wonder if you might help me understand this. You say, "And a=20
good example of why soundboard cutoff bars can (should) be used to some=20
advantage." In the views I saw on the web page there seemed to be quite a=20
bit of movement in the area normally eliminated by a cutoff bar. If there=20
is that much movement is that not contributing to what we hear rather than=
=20
detracting from it? As I type and look back at the pictures in another=20
window I'm tempted to rationalize that while one part of the board,=20
specifically that part in question, is on the down part of a wave the rest=
=20
of the board is up and visa versa. Is this what you wish to eliminate with=
=20
the cutoff bar so that the board acts as a whole instead of in separate=20
parts? It would be interesting to see what the board would do using this=20
modal analysis with a cutoff bar installed.
         This brings me to another question. In all of the examples I've=20
seen of pictures with cutoff bars installed, all seem to be a great deal=20
smaller in size than the corresponding inner rim section they are=20
replacing. I understand that they are epoxied into the existing inner rim=20
and doweled as well. I further understand, I think, that the cutoff bar is=
=20
attached to any support beams over which it passes. Do the combinations of=
=20
these items make it unnecessary that it be of similar dimension as the=20
inner rim?

Greg