Bass string revival

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 9 May 2003 23:49:46 EDT

jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu writes:

> Bass strings had coffee or soda spilled on them several years ago and they
> were dead as a stone.  No money for replacements.  Becoming frustrated
> listening for a pitch I decided to try a final fix.
>
>   I began by pounding the key and lowering each string about 1/2 turn
> until it was slack.  Continuing to test blow the key a dozen times while
> slack and continuing pounding I then pulled the string up to pitch.
>
>   Presto the string had a live, full sound.   However, I'm wondering:
>
> 1.  What happened to the string to cause it to revive???
>
> 2.   Will this be a short term fix and the strings become dead again???
>
> Anybody experienced this bass string revival?
>
> Joel Jones
> Retired UW tech in Madison

The coffee or other drink probably had sugar in it, That is what caused the
string to be dead. By lowering the tension, and beating on the string, your
probably dislodged the sugar, and maybe even some of the rust. I'm wondering,
though, if it was the lowering of tension, or the constant pounding, that
loosened up the sugar?

Wim