Bedevilled by a Baldwin yet again

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Sat, 10 May 2003 14:20:11 -0400

Check for ...
  loose hammerheads
  loose catchers
  loose let-off buttons
  loose damper heads (incredible how much noise a loose collet in the =
damper head can make)
  glue slobber on the jack stop rail
  glue slobber on the damper stop rail

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2003 10:29 AM
  Subject: Bedevilled by a Baldwin yet again

  Hi List,=20

  I was going to list this as "Today's Puzzler," only that wouldn't be =
fair, because I don't have an answer yet...:-(  Hopefully, with a little =
more tweaking, and some good advice from this great resource, I can come =
up with one.=20

  A friend of mine bought a 70's Baldwin Hamilton Studio from a local =
dealer.  I went out to do the free tuning/service call, and found that =
the piano had basically not been seviced at all in the shop.  It was a =
quick in-and-out deal.  The piano was filthy inside, really out of tune, =
had plenty of lost motion, and had lots of action noise.  After a bit of =
regulating and a tuning, the piano sounded and played much =
better--except for the clacks.=20

  This is a corfam era piano, but I know that sound: this is not it.  =
What I'm hearing is almost like a jack or hammer shank slapping on =
something.  I think I've got it isolated to the whippen.  Last night I =
took the action out and tightened every action screw in sight(and some =
hidden ones).  They were definitely on the loose side.  Put the action =
back in, and the clacking/clicking was still there.=20

  If I had much hair left, I'd be pulling it out by now...any =
suggestions as to what this might be would be extremely helpful.  I =
guess I'm a Bald-whiner.=20

  This comes a day after tuning a 90's Baldwin that has hammers that =
make granite seem soft where I couldn't get a clean unison on isolated =
single strings in the temperament....:-}=20

  Thanks in advance,=20

  Dave Stahl=20