Rear Duplex Bars on Steinways:

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 10 May 2003 13:51:49 -0500

>That's an interesting statement.   I wonder how Steinway would interpret
>that.  In other words, this piano can sound better, but let's leave it
>sounding less good so that it's more like a Steinway.
>
>David Love
>

> > How far can a Steinway get its sound
> > improved without sounding like something other than a Steinway?
> > Ed Foote RPT

That's a good question, Ed. Let's find out. But why all this focus on
Steinway? The one single and most important point that nearly everyone is
ignoring here is that this stuff is not about Steinway at all. It's about
improving performance of just about any piano out there, provided there is
a minimum structure to work with in the first place. How far can a Kimball
get it's sound improved without sounding like something other than a
Kimball? Again, let's find out. We're trying to make whatever piano we are
working with be the best sounding piano it can be by our efforts. This
stuff works on pianos, not just on Steinways, and has nothing whatsoever to
do with reverential awe of any monolithic object other than the beauty of
discovery of some of the science behind what makes a piano work - or not
work, and the practical application of those principals in making as
musical a sound as possible come out of any given piano. This is
fundamental working knowledge, folks, not a smoke and mirrors entrenched
belief without practical experience or understanding, and there's still a
whole lot to discover and learn to use in that pursuit. Progress in
anything requires not only adding to existing knowledge, but leaving behind
past truths that have proven not to be the benefit they were once thought
to be. This is difficult for most of us because we have invested a lot of
blood and sweat into trying to learn to deal with these existing warts,
even to the point of assigning the least improvable of them the status of
"character" to relieve ourselves of further responsibility in fixing them.
But we find we can fix a lot of them by letting them go and replacing them
with something more mechanically and acoustically workable. This requires
an open mind and the willingness to evolve as new information becomes
available. That's the tough part. Focusing on one sacred relic to the
exclusion of all other conflicting evidence is not a growth attitude.

But that's just what I think.

Ron N