Bass string revival

Joel Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Sat, 10 May 2003 14:22:44 -0500

Conrad, Mike, and Wim,
Good to know you think the pounding and tension lowering will give the
strings a few more years.  I had originally planned to clean the strings,
but with the startling success I won't follow up.  Leave success alone.
    Should have mentioned that this is a 30 year old 45" that is played
hard, but not 24/7.  With this type of playing I'm hoping this will keep the
strings moving and shake out a few more sugar crumbs.
    I normally do the overhand knot and put on a turn as Mike mentioned, but
this being a low budget repair I went for the quick fix.  I was shocked at
the results.
    If anyone has this situation I would recommend trying one or two
strings.  Like Conrad said you can feather the sound by working on fewer
strings to blend the string output.
    Thanks for your responses.
Joel

--