Tuning Walk Out

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 10 May 2003 16:52:14 -0400

A first for me yesterday.

I went to service an old Knabe upright (rewhatevered a few years ago). Lady said it needed tuning and a note fixed. Piano was 50 cents flat. I started raising pitch, and after turning six tuning pins I went outside to get my torque wrench. I tested the six that I had already moved and about a half-dozen more and all but one were WAY over 200 inch-pounds torque. I would guess most were between 250 and 300 inch-pounds. My torque wrench looked like it was ready to become a pretzel without even moving most of them. As I had injured (pulled something in my neck) myself a month ago on a new Boston studio followed by a nasty 1098, I was not ready to miss another couple weeks of work to finish this one tuning. I told the lady that I would not tune her piano and why. She was quite understanding.

I would sure like to know what Bozo put those new tuning pins into that piano. S/he obviously does not attend PTG conventions and/or participate on this wonderful list!

My arm was a bit sore this morning. I am very glad I did what I did. At the time I was really wondering if I was just being a wimp - but clearly, such was not the case.

Terry Farrell