Rear Duplex Bars on Steinways:

Sat, 10 May 2003 16:18:03 -0700

What sounds best may not be quantifiable, but what functions best may very
well be.  If the function of a soundboard is to enhance and balance the
various frequencies produced by vibrating strings, for example, then
optimizing the shape and structure should be quantifiable.  Which is not to
say that establishing the criteria is easy.   If it can be demonstrated,
for example, the without a cutoff bar the board performs in a way which is
counterproductive to its designed function, then why would adding a cutoff
bar to a piano without one be contrary to the design as it relates to the
intention of the designer, namely, to get the soundboard to function in the
most efficient manor.  The ability to see how the cutoff bar effected
performance is, I presume, a relatively recent development.  Why not use it
then.

The fact is that optimizing performance was clearly not always the goal of
every designer/engineer.  Often performance had to be balanced with the
economics of manufacturing and many of the designs that we are dealing with
from 100 years ago do not benefit from more recent developments.  To
duplicate designs that were made for reasons other than performance and
that do not take advantage of advances in information and design seems,
well to use a risky word, silly.

There are other things that go into establishing the character of the piano
aside from the performance of the soundboard.  Hammer style and density
being a very important one.  Yet hammers are routinely swapped around these
days.  I don't see Abel producing hammers that are designed to match the
original hammers for NY Steinway, for example.  Nor would I expect that
those who put them on NY Steinways to change the fallboard label to read
Abel-Steinway, or Steinway-Abel.

I don't know soundboard making processes well enough to discuss the subtle
differences between various makers.  But I am beginning to observe a number
of common elements to the best made pianos.  Some difference appear to be
much ado about nothing, for example bridge grain orientation and sound
transmission.  Other differences seem to be less compromisable, for example
soundboard stiffness in varying parts of the assembly, rib support, proper
scaling.  The differences in pianos are sometimes design related, but when
designs are fundamentally good, the differences are then more execution
related.  The Steinway action is a good example of this--a good design with
uneven execution.   Some designs are more subject to the variances in
execution.  Compression crowned boards are amongst those.  I would guess
that a well executed compression board will sound just as good as a rib
crowned board.  Will it sound different?  How could you tell.  It's
impossible to do an apples to apples comparison.  It may not last as long,
but if properly executed will perform its function.   But will adding rib
crowning change the fundamental character or performance of the board in
the short term, assuming both are executed well?  Probably not.  So why not
take the route that gives greater leeway in execution and has a history of
greater longevity.

There are, however, some areas where design does seem to be at issue.  The
terms "devil's octave", "killer octave" didn't come about  because of one
single piano.  The fact that the problem occurs over and over again
suggests a design flaw.  To ensure that this area of the piano performs
like it is meant to with good power and sustain, it may require
modifications from the "original design", additional bracing of the belly
rail, beefing up the ribs, perhaps.  If the older design has demonstrated a
propensity to fail in this area, then not modifying it seems a much greater
dereliction of duty than any ethical line you risk crossing by changing the
sacred "original design".

I think that in looking at designs and deciding whether to modify them one
needs to consider the goal in performance of the component parts as well as
the instrument as a whole.  Here there are more and more quantifiable data
to help make those decisions.   Beyond that there is still plenty of room
for qualitative judgment and decision making to give the piano its final
form and voice.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

Kimball