Rear Duplex Bars on Steinways:

Sun, 11 May 2003 12:58:29 +0200

Cy Shuster wrote:

> I think Ron and Ric are in agreement.  It seems Ric is saying people who
> improve an instrument significantly should take credit by name, like an
> "AMG" nameplate on a Mercedes, or "Shelby" on a Cobra -- right, Ric?

Something along those lines anyways. Certainly you'd want to make it look nice,
attractive as it were. Thats half the point of ones logo to begin with.

But as how much Ron and I agree on this subject is another matter :) We kinda
tend to enjoy taking opposite viewpoints on quite a few issues. Tho if you want
my opinion on the matter, we probably are more alike then either of us would
like to admit. That being said, Ron takes a bit more liberal take on this if I
understand him correctly.

> Like Terry's car analogy, just because you "soup something up" doesn't mean
> you don't value what you start with.  Few people make souped-up Yugos, after
> all!

I always like Terrys angle on things. He's got a way with putting things I
wouldnt mind at all having myself. And I agree with the above clip... in fact
thats quite a bit of my point. But at some point in a redesigning project... be
it cars, pianos, or whathaveyou, one should place similiar value on ones own
contribution.

One side of all this we havnt had any fun with.... I wonder what some of our
more << name protective >> manufactureres would have to say if they began to see
instruments around in concert hall that made it very obvious that it had been
re-engineered by some bright and clever rebuilder.... especially if that/those
rebuilder(s) were truly outpreforming the factory models.

I cant think of too many better ways to really influence how pianos are built
(if thats what some of you want to do) then to be successfully provocative.

Just a thought.

RIcB