Steinway Article in NY Times

Sun, 11 May 2003 13:52:30 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> "Will it sound like "a squadron of dive bombers,"...? Or will it begin
> life with the enormous bass and sweet-singing treble....? Will it be
> good enough for Steinway's concert division...?" No one can say. Not
> yet. Every Steinway is made the same way from the same materials by
> the same workers. Yet every Steinway ends up being different from
> every other — not in appearance, perhaps, but in ways that are not
> easily put into words: colorations of sound, nuances of strength or
> delicacy, what some pianists call personality. Some Steinways end up
> sounding small or mellow, fine for chamber music. Some are so
> percussive a full-strength orchestra cannot drown them out. On some,
> the keys move with little effort. On others, the pianist's hands and
> arms get a workout. Why? No one at Steinway can really say. Perhaps it
> is the wood. No matter how carefully Steinway selects or prepares each
> batch, some trees get more sunlight than others in the forest, and
> some get more water. Oh, oh, ROFL. Oh, my tummy hurts.

Grin... I know... its absolutely Evangelical isnt it ?? But then...
thats marketing for you. You should read this article about David
Stanwood that got sent around recently. Oh my Gawd !!.. But hey... for
better or for worse... thats how its done. Heck even religion sells it
self like this..... from time to time.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne