Wurzen felt

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sun, 11 May 2003 16:01:10 -0400

David C. Stanwood wrote:

>   There is a recording made at Elon College NC on a Steinway D 1926 that
> you put a beautiful beautiful board in...  John Foy, the rebuilder,
> requested a TopHigh hammer weight when I designed touch weight components.
> This piano is VERY popular.  Ruth Laredo raved about it etc....  There is a
> recording recently made with this piano and the tone is vibrant, and as
> varied as a painters palette.  I'll get more information on this if anyone
> on the list wants to order it and have listen...

Thanks David but I am sure I had nothing to do with its success. Surly
someone has rectified all my mistakes. Having read many of the posts
here about the marvels of piano re-engineering from the most notable
rebuilders around I now know that if you want to have any success form a
Steinway D you must do a lot more than I did. Shame on me but I didn't
redesign the string scale or move the bridge. Nor did I do anything
about the absurdly short back string lengths (I am just scared to death
of the sparks from a metal grinder). I am sure John Foy spent a lot of
time redoing my work. What did he do about the soundboard? I now realize
that the steinway people had no idea how to build a soundboard. Gosh, I
didn't even install a longer cut-off bar or move the position of the ribs!

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979