Wurzen felt

Mon, 12 May 2003 09:30:29 +0200

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> > "David C. Stanwood" wrote:
> >
> > > I find that high zone hammer weights develop a
> > > wider and fuller dynamic range if they are made and voiced
> appropriately...
> >
> > I find that this is true as well. Certainly at some point there exists a
> limit
> > here due to touch concerns, but in general I tend to agree with what many
> many
> > others through the last 100 + years have said.. namely that more hammer
> mass
> > yeilds better tonal quality at the expense of touch. Tho this expense has
> > definantly been lessened in the past few years thanks in no small part to
> > David.

> I think the idea that greater mass necessarily yields "better tone quality"
> is a relatively recent phenomena. And, personally, I think the question is
> still open to some debate.
>
> Del

David has some information that goes exactly to this point dating back pretty
far. It seems to me that given the back and forth of the use of monster hammers
throughout the last hundred years also points in this direction. You find
quotes pointing in this direction quite a few places throughout history, tho I
have not made any particular effort to catalouge them.

I certainly agree that the whole issue is open to debate tho. Indeed I am the
first to underline the importance of the subjective nature of musical tastes.

btw... noted your response about the hammers. I'll send what I have to Stephen
as he seems to have a use for them. I will be very interested in your thoughts
tho when you first get a chance to try a set of these.

Cheers

RicB

--
Richard Brekne