Redesign arguments

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Mon, 12 May 2003 10:31:16 EDT

As a person who is trying, as we all are, to improve his craft, I appreciate
the leading edge technical information provided by those who are trying to
make the piano a better instrument.

As a person who is sincerely struggling over the ethics and efficacy of
various redesign operations, I very much appreciate the arguments of Robin
Hufford, David Love, Bill Ballard, John Hartman, et. al., which speak
eloquently to the philosophical and commercial, as well as the technical side
of these processes. The many different positions taken on the recent Horowitz
piano thread have been equally enlightening, and showed that there are more
than two sides to most issues.

I would say, though, that two recent sarcastic posts (concerning FAILURE to
redesign) shed more heat than light, and I think they tend to stifle
conversation. I understand the emotional stake one can have in defending a
position, and I relish the intellectual tweaking of a bit of irony from time
to time, but I've enjoyed the depth of conversation on several topics over
the last month or two, and I find the sarcasm dismissive and disrespectful.

Assign only the noblest of motives to your opponent, keep up the debate, and
thank you.
Bob Davis