Wurzen felt

Tue, 13 May 2003 17:31:52 +0200

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> > "As far back as 1873 the author made, in the factories at Dolgeville,
> N.Y.,
> > for Steinway & Sons, hammer felt one and three fourth inches in thick in
> > bass and weighing 22 pounds to a sheet, which measured 36 inches wide and
> > 43 inches long.  This extraordinary thick felt was used for concert grand
> > piano hammers, and although splendid results were achieved, the heavy
> > hammer affected the touch too  much."
>
> Yes, I've read this quote as well. Of course it tells us absolutely nothing
> about how heavy any individual set of hammers might have been. It also
> tells us nothing about their physical characteristics: how dense they might
> have been, how resilient they were, etc. We can be fairly sure they were
> cold pressed so we can assume they were probably softer and/or more
> resilient than anything common today. But even this is speculation.

But doesnt the quote also include first hand observations about the exact same
problem situation as we've been discussing ? That heavy hammers affected tough
in a negative way, but tone in a positive way ? And I am curious... is a 22
pound sheet the same thing as saying 22 pound hammers... as in did the Japanese
hammers you mention below use a 29 pound sheet ? Also... are you saying that a
22 pound sheet can result in a lighter hammer then a 18 pound sheet (assuming
same core material) ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.