stickers

Tue, 13 May 2003 17:50:01 +0200

Classic Touch Ent wrote:

> All,
>
> Is the real issue stickers? or is it agreeing that significant departure (especially those not easily reversible) from original design and /or material be (permanently) documented so that future owners can determine the desirability of these features to their satisfaction?
> If not stickers, I'm sure an appropriate solution can easily be found by individuals as creative as those submitting contributions to these pages....

Me too. And I would like to point out, that the no one suggested that stickers thing to begin with... it was just extrapolated out of a general suggestion very similiar to the above, just like the idea that removeing the origional logo in the middle of the fallboard was pulled
out of no where so it could be held up as absurd.  I just love it :)

The fact is that marking a piano with any logo, rebuilders name, or dealers name can be done either nicely, or it can be gawdy. Nothing new there. The idea (of course) is to not make it gawdy ! :) Grin... I reaaally didnt think we haaaaadd to make this point.

> I know I would appreciate having some sort of documentation (perhaps something like carfax) that would provide specific information regarding 'refurbishing', 'rebuilding', and 'restoration' ( the meanings of these terms have become so blurred through misuse
> and utter lack of documentation as to be rendered near meaningless ) . Items could include stringing (type and manufacturer), soundboard
> (repaired, replaced, rib/compression crowned, original ribs/bridges design or altered), hammers/shanks/flanges, whippens, keys,
> legs/lyre, finish, etc.. Name of technician(s) and date of repairs and alterations and of course Manufacturer & serial number.

Me too... something that cant be lost in somebodies piano bench as well. Now that doesnt mean I want you all to write a complete list of specifications in Arial Bold font size 25 on the soundboard folks.... :)

> This has the potential to elevate the reputation and integrity of the craft and industry as a whole.

It sure does. The lost point in all of this... You'd think that exactly those rebuilders that are most eager to convince the rest of us that they have something better for us all would be most interested in profiling themselves and their results in this, and as many other ways
as possible.

> I'm going to go duck under the piano now in anticipation of the stampede of support for my suggestion.
>
> Best, Rich Olmsted

I'm going to duck with you... but not for the same reason... hehe.

Cheers Rich

Ric B
--
Richard Brekne