Rear Duplex Bars on Steinways:

Wed, 14 May 2003 22:25:02 +0200

Robin Hufford wrote:

> Hello Ric B,
>
> Richard Brekne wrote:
>
> > Grin... Robin !!
> >
> > Are you trying to accuse David of being narrowly opinionated and guilty more of
> > sophist endeavour then serious discussion with all this ?  My Gawd what a
> > dissertation !!
> >

> Sorry for the length of the post.  I was not accusing him anything like this but,
> merely, trying to respond to his comments on my post.

Well.. I can tell the difference... but then I know your writing. But I doubt most would
see much but a personal broadside thrown... rather eloquently put mind you... grin.. but
just so. I suppose I may be a bit oversensitive to things that go off in a personal
direction... but then on the other hand... seems to always get us into trouble. In
comparison... seems like the politcal and religious flames that pop up from time to time
are childs food beside some of more personal battles that have popped up on occasion.>

> I certainly think it is ridiculous to resist change simply for the sake of tradition
> something for which I have, in general,  little use.  At least the possibility exists,
> however, that it is equally ridiculous to make changes and confuse afterwards the joy
> of tinkering with suitability of results.

Well both are certainly very possible. And turning that coin upside down.... its also very
possible to both enact changes in design and to keep true to the origional without being
foolish for either effort. I think thats what John Hartman was saying more or less,
perhaps with a bit of sarcasm tweined in. Point being... Lots of things << sound good >>
... or  << feel good >>... eye of the beholder and all that.

> > And I take issue with any claims that appear to be in the direction of some kind of
> > universal right and wrong relating to what are by definition nearly purely
> > subjective issues. Of course its always easy to construct absurd examples that
> > naturally result when when any given rational is taken to the farthest reaches of
> > its logical ends. But I dont think we can accuse any one particular person of doing
> > that much more then anyone else.... well... but lets not go there :)
> >

> There is, at times, plenty of that here.
> Regards, Robin Hufford

Sure.. and I am probably as guilty as anyone of it, no matter how hard I try not too. What
can we do ????... perhaps just keep hangin in there I suppose :)

Cheers Robin

RicB

--
Richard Brekne