tuning multiple keyboard instruments

Nelson. Gene (PWA) nelsong@SacCounty.NET
Wed, 14 May 2003 21:07:56 -0700

a: I would set a4 then tune piano as usual. You can always check the
inharmonicity of the synthesizer with your rct but I think that you will
find that they are different from a piano. I would bet that the synthesizer
had a slightly unequal temperament as well. You won't be able to change the
inharmonicity of the piano so equal temperament is the only answer in my
opinion.
2: If the two pianos are equal size and the scaling is close this could be
close enough. But if they are different you may find a nice tuning on one
piano and quiet 5ths, fast 4ths, noisy octaves, unequal progression of 3ds
and other fast beating intervals on the other piano. I have never used an
rct.
III: Try it and see if all of the intervals on the piano between the a's
fit. If so then you have it.
Gene Nelson

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Mulik [mailto:tubist@swbell.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 20:43
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: tuning multiple keyboard instruments

Potentially silly questions from a novice technician:

A:  Suppose a piano needs to be tuned to another instrument (let's say a
synthesizer or pipe organ).  Should I just make sure A4 matches and then
tune the piano as normal, or do I need to determine precisely what
temperament was used on the other instrument?  In the case of a synthesizer,
I would think the temperament might vary depending on the setting (for
example "concert grand" might use a different temperament than "honky-tonk
piano" or "harpsichord").

2:  Suppose I'm going to tune two pianos together, using RCT.  It seems to
me I could just calculate a tuning for one of the pianos, and then use the
same tuning for both instruments (without recording the second piano).  Any
reason why this wouldn't work?

III:  Going back to part A, what if I used  RCT to record the other
instrument (let's say it's a synthesizer), and then used that to tune the
piano?  What I mean is, suppose I started up the program as I always do, but
after clicking "record," suppose I played each of the A's on the synthesizer
(instead of the A's on the piano) and then proceeded to tune the piano as
usual.  Would this work, or is this a crazy idea?

Thanks,
Paul Mulik