Rear Perplex Bars on Steinways:

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Thu, 15 May 2003 00:00:40 -0700

Hello Bill,
     A few comments below:

> I do share with you the importance of intellectual honesty. But we
> must keep in mind that this is an internet mailing list, most of whom
> have no direct acquaintance with one another, and few of whom will
> actually let a completed post sit in the out-box, to be re-read an
> hour later or the next morning, before their words get fired off.
> It's also abstracted by the fact the no where in all this text, is
> there a group of techs all  in one room together all listening to the
> same piano, and having this shared aural experience be the basis for
> the discussion.

As you note above there is no common experience of the sound of a piano for the
contributors to this list, whcih,of course I agree with.  In view of this fact,
that is that we are reduced to words, not the perception of sound,  it behooves
all to be moderate in claims of superiority of deficiency as these are only words
indeed.  Yet with all due to respect to them, I have seen no such moderation on
the part of those advocating the virtues of redesign.  I don't want to beat a dead
horse and continue on this thread but this, along with condemnation of any
alternative, seems inescapably the case.

> Such is the nature of internet discussions. You may
> be happier with it than I am.
>
> At 12:55 AM -0700 5/11/03, Robin Hufford wrote:
> >The underlying assumption of the various techniques of the
> >"redesigners"  is what, as far as I can tell,  seems to be a completely
> >unsupported claim to a superior result, something which, if real, all  would
> >applaud.  But the only reality that I can see here in this context are words
> >and ideas only, both of which may well be questioned.   What does it  mean
> >when one hears over and over: " These methods and techniques will achieve a
> >superior result, " and in the next  breath, "The results are  superior
> >because we have used these methods."  Surely few would concede anything to
> >such an argument, except, perhaps laughter.
>
> It would be nice if we were all in the same room, listening to the
> same piano. Until the real thing comes along, I'll be happy
> discussing nuts and bolts.

It would indeed be nice if we were all able to hear the same piano, but as we
can't I hope can be permitted a little latitude to be somewhat skeptical of global
claims.   I am also happy discussing the nuts and bolts.
Thanks for the comments and with a similar respects and regards:  Robin Hufford
---by the way this is a most refreshing slogan attached below, which when I first
saw it recently, was a real blast of fresh air, droll humor  and very, very funny,
as it is now.
rh