Ya don need a Bosendorfer?

Thu, 15 May 2003 18:14:49 -0500

At 17:18 05/15/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>    Here is a new one on me, it comes from the piano-L list:
>
>Jon said how this tone was produced, I can't remember what he said
>other than that he struck two notes, a fourth apart, and that in doing so,
>the low G was produced.  He said that organists do this to compensate when
>they do not have pipes which go low enough.
>
>Can anyone explain this to me? <<
>

>Ideas, anyone?
>
>Ed Foote RPT

Yup, they're called difference tones, or what the organists call
resultants.  What you are hearing is a beat speed equivalent to the
fundamental.  If you recall that the difference in frequency between _each_
harmonic in the series is equal to the fundamental, you can see that, to
some extent, _each_ pair of adjacent harmonics will produce a fundamental
resultant.

The fourth (IV) just happens to have a strong enough resultant to be heard
and usable.  The purer the interval, the stronger the resultant, of course.

Naturally, a tuning system which has purer fourths and fifths will aid in
this phenomenon being observed on a piano

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.