WARNING was Tilter

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 17 May 2003 10:48:19 -0500

Critical caveat: Make &*%#$@ sure that the piano is not going to roll on its
rear casters when you are tilting it or setting it upright again. I once put
one of the handles of the tilter through a wall because of this and was just
glad of two things: 1) It didn't hit me first and 2) It was in a crummy
military building and they said "Eh, don't worry about it." But if you did
it in a customer's beautiful home ... oh, mercy.

And many people can tell you stories of chasing a half-tilted piano around a
gymnasium floor or stage. Picture dropping one in an orchestra pit, if you
want a scary image.

Anyway, this is not to discourage the uninitiated: The tilter is all the
wonder that has been posted here.

BUT ...

I have come to routinely chock the rear casters (wedges in front of the
wheels). I've used grand mutes if the floor is not real slick, like if it's
carpeted.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

P.S. I may have to tilt a big ol' Baldwin 6000 sitting on 5" wheel Jansen
trucks. I put the trucks on myself, with the help of a very large and strong
soldier. If he's not around, I'm not looking forward to tackling this little
engineering feat!