Action Geometry Consistency

Sat, 17 May 2003 21:11:47 +0200

Alltypetune@aol.com wrote:

> Sorry, I picked up on this discussion late.
>
> If the knuckles are bad, under what condition do you consider it best, in the
> interest of time, to just replace the knuckles in lieu of new shanks and
> flanges.
>
> Ron May

Depends on a few things I suppose. New shanks cost money and need a bit of
fitting to the instrument, implies a hammer change in anycase. Knuckles
themselves get replaced easily enough. You can pop off an old set and get a new
set installed very nicely in a couple hours. If you have a set of poorly
installed knuckles and hammers and shanks are otherwise reasonably ok.... In
anycase i choose that over bolstering for the most part now.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.