strings measures

Nelson. Gene (PWA) nelsong@SacCounty.NET
Sat, 17 May 2003 18:17:52 -0700

From: St=E9phane Collin [mailto:collin.s@skynet.be]
Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2003 17:53
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: strings measures

=20
St=E9phane.

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Ron  <mailto:sec@overspianos.com.au> Overs=20
To: Pianotech <mailto:pianotech@ptg.org> =20
Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2003 2:17 AM

St=E9phane,

Does anyone have a good trick for acurately measuring string diameters =
while
still in the piano ?

I normally use a micrometer on broken strings, but it is impossible to =
put
it between the strings that are still in place.  I found that caliper
measurements are not accurate enough for proper use.

What you require is a multi-anvil micrometer. I have been using one for =
many
years to measure the strings in the piano. It is particularly handy =
when you
are dealing with a broken bass string, since you can measure the cover =
and
core diameters of the adjacent strings in the piano without letting the
tension off.

The above image, of the Mitutoyo 117-101, 0-25 mm metric micrometer =
(they
also make an Imperial measurement version), was taken from the Mitutoyo
website at;

http://www.mitutoyo.com/cat2000a/l-39.htm

These micrometers come with a round and flat anvil. The round anvil is =
used
for measuring tube wall thickness. They are more expensive than a =
standard
micrometer, but you'll have it for the rest of your working life. My
multi-anvil is a Starrett, but the Mutitoyo is better made.

Best,
Ron O.

--=20
_______________________