Bass String Length Equality

Mon, 19 May 2003 07:15:40 -0700

My guess/experience is that it's a tunability issue.  I don't experience
problems in tunability where the difference represents such a small
percentage of overall string length such as are found in the bass sections
of many pianos.  The same thing can't be said in the case of the Steinway
"ringing bridge" where the speaking differences in the capo section
represent a higher percentage of speaking length.  That being said, when
redoing a piano/bridge, I would equalize the lengths.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

an un-notched (single continuous bevel) bridge in the bass bicord area can
be improved when rewhatevering by properly notching the bridge such that
the bicords of each note have equal lengths.

> I am redoing an upright. I have notched the new bass bridge in the bicord
area. However, the pinned-cast-iron upper termination is in a horizontal
line, whereas the strings are at a fair angle - hence, the left string of
each bicord is a few millimeters longer than the right string. I should
think it fair to assume then that redoing this upper termination to produce
equal string lengths would be of some benefit.

> My question is: would the benefit/difference be audible - would it make
for a better piano to the discriminating ear?

> I should think the difference would be much the same as on a grand that
has agraffes in the bass and the bicord area of the bass bridge is at a
fair angle to the strings and is upgraded from a continuous single bevel to
proper notching. Does this upgrade on the small grand result in an audible
improvement?