Bass String Length Equality

Mon, 19 May 2003 13:16:22 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: May 19, 2003 8:25 AM
  Subject: Re: Bass String Length Equality

  Comments below:
   =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@cox.net>
  To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
  Sent: Monday, May 19, 2003 10:17 AM

  >=20
  > >I am redoing an upright. I have notched the new bass bridge in the =
bicord=20
  > >area. However, the pinned-cast-iron upper termination is in a =
horizontal=20
  > >line, whereas the strings are at a fair angle - hence, the left =
string of=20
  > >each bicord is a few millimeters longer than the right string. I =
should=20
  > >think it fair to assume then that redoing this upper termination to =

  > >produce equal string lengths would be of some benefit.
  >=20
  > Didn't you make the notches parallel to the top bridge,=20

  I knew I should have sent this to you/Del privately. Egg on my face. =
Amazing what you can learn by just rebuilding one piano. Amazing what =
you did not know while rebuilding it. Amazing what seemed like the only =
way to do it, later seems so obviously stupid.

  No, I did not make the notches parallel to the top bridge. Indeed, =
would seem to be the logical thing to do. Ahh, hindsight.

  > or did you notch=20
  > perpendicular to the strings?

  I'll give you one guess. Let's see how bright you really are!

Just how much variation in speaking length are we talking about here?

Del