Bass String Length Equality

Mon, 19 May 2003 19:11:31 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 19, 2003 5:50 PM
Subject: Re: Bass String Length Equality

> "Just how much variation in speaking length are we talking about here?"
>
> Four millimeters per unison set. Strings run around 900 mm long. Now
don't go and tell me 4 mm is of no consequence. I don't want to hear it! I
already ran my nicely sanded beautiful first new bass bridge through my
bandsaw and cut off the top inch of the bicord half of the bass bridge. As
I write, I have a 3/4" chunk of quarter sawn maple and about 5 thin
laminates of maple curing in epoxy on the bridge. I'll trim it tomorrow
morning, reset bearing on this part of the bridge, re-drill and be right
back in business.

> For some reason, I strongly suspect I will think twice next time!
>
> Terry Farrell

No. For one or two mm I'd have said don't bother. But 4 mm is stretching
things a bit. Thought it worth asking, though.

Del