Thar She Blows!

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 19 May 2003 21:30:20 -0500

Replaced hammers, shanks, butts, keytops, and almost all felts--including
key rest and hammer rest rail--in an old upright.

I won't have any trouble getting a good-looking and good-working key height
based on keyslip, nameboard, and available dip but I have to settle on a
blow distance before going further.

The set-up, with new parts, is about halfway between 1 5/8" and 1 3/4"

Does yourall's (I made up the word) experience think that is good enough or
should I rip out the rest rail felts and re-shim it .... and if so, should I
go for 1 3/4" or 1 7/8"?

Is there a simple way to decide this, or do I need to completely regulate 3
or 4 keys before I know it will work?

One other factor, maybe not too relevant to the discussion. It has long,
tall dowel-capstan type stickers.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO