string measure

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Wed, 21 May 2003 10:38:11 -0700 (GMT)

>Stéphane,
>
>>Does anyone have a good trick for acurately measuring string diameters
>>while still in the piano ?
>>I normally use a micrometer on broken strings, but it is impossible to
>>put it between the strings that are still in place.  I found that
caliper
>>measurements are not accurate enough for proper use.
>
>What you require is a multi-anvil micrometer. I have been using one for
>many years to measure the strings in the piano. It is particularly handy
>when you are dealing with a broken bass string, since you can measure the

>cover and core diameters of the adjacent strings in the piano without
>letting the tension off.
>
>19eea925.jpg
>The above image, of the Mitutoyo 117-101, 0-25 mm metric micrometer (they

>also make an Imperial measurement version), was taken from the Mitutoyo
>website at;
>
>http://www.mitutoyo.com/cat2000a/l-39.htm
>
>These micrometers come with a round and flat anvil. The round anvil is
>used for measuring tube wall thickness. They are more expensive than a
>standard micrometer, but you'll have it for the rest of your working
life.
>My multi-anvil is a Starrett, but the Mutitoyo is better made.
>
>Best,
>Ron O.

I've found that the micrometer that works best for me for measuring strings at tension in the piano is a disc type micrometer.  Here's an example:

http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/products/2359.cfm

Mine is actually a Starrett with a conventional (non-digital) readout, but the picture on their website wasn't too good, so I've given the one above as an example.  Many manufacturers make micrometers of this type.

Phil F

Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration
1777 Yosemite Ave - 130