Lost My Head

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Thu, 22 May 2003 02:21:26 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ron Nossaman=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 9:26 AM
  Subject: Re: Lost My Head

  >         1) This is just a simple system with a threaded shaft =
holding the=20
  > prop
  >rail, one nut under it and the round prop nut above it. How can I =
keep that
  >lower nut from moving, short of gluing it to the screw?

  Replace it with a leather nut.

  >         2) Not having a replacement shaft (has Brambach-style =
knuckle),=20
  > how would
  >y'all go about fixing this head? Would like to avoid the "sewing =
thread
  >splint with giant blob of epoxy" fix that I've seen in other pianos!
  >
  >Alan Barnard

  Splice a new 7/32" shank to the old one with a long scarf joint, trim =
to=20
  length, press the old shank end out of the hammer, fit and glue hammer =
to=20
  new shank, trim shank to length, make resolution to not break old =
obsolete=20
  parts ever again, remember the fix for the next time you break an old=20
  obsolete part.

  Ron N