Epoxy in bridge pin holes, new or old bridge.

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Thu, 22 May 2003 05:24:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Terry,
    I think that impregnating/coating the bridge with
epoxy as much as you can without it looking like a
"candied apple" is your best bet to stop future bridge
pin loosening. Other pins popping up "hither and yon"
during placement in epoxied holes probably has a lot
more to do with internal cracks than normal porosity.
    I suggest: Put epoxy in a few (20?) holes at a
time. Don't worry about a little "slop-out". Waft
gently with a warm breeze from a heat gun. This lowers
the viscosity considerably, so that the epoxy will
penetrate the wood better, the pins will go in easier,
and squeeze out will be much easier to paint around
the wood surface. Go to next section.
    If you do this correctly the epoxy will make the
bridge look like it is nicely varnished and, I
believe, help with vibratory transmission.
     When it is fully cured, take a razor blade and
use it like a tiny cabinet scraper to make the bearing
surface perfectly flat ( remove nibs, brush marks,
etc..)
     Then, take a regular pencil with a soft lead and
see how easy it is to NEATLY lubricate the top!The
razor makes the epoxied bridge top just "rough" enough
to accept the pencil graphite beautifully!
     Thump

--- Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>