F = (DW - UW) / 2

Thu, 22 May 2003 18:35:09 +0200

"Bradley M. Snook" wrote:

> Why is Friction (F) found by subtracting Upweight (UW) from Downweight (DW),
> then dividing by 2? Why do we divide by two? Is that to compensate for
> action geometry? Why don't we just use DW - UW to find the friction?

You divide by two because you have two components you are averaging. Balance
Weight is also found in similiar fashion, only you add the Up and Down weights
together.

The interesting thing is that Balance Weight and Friction are quite indepentant
of each other. That is to say... a change in friction does not really affect
Balance Weight.

> Bradley M. Snook
> Graduate Student in Piano Technology (M.Mus)
> Rice University, Shepherd School of Music

Cheers
RicB

--
Richard Brekne