Pleyel Grand with warped front rail.

Robin Olson DCrpt@comcast.net
Thu, 22 May 2003 22:28:25 -0400

       I recently worked on a roughly 100 year old Pleyel grand in of
all places,(where else but)the French Ambassador's residence here in
Washington DC.Somewhere along the line it has been restrung and and
partially rebuilt.The problem is that the front rail only contacts the
key bed on the ends.In the middle it is bounceing up and down causeing
power loss and letoff and after touch proplems unless you play pretty
hard.There are no adjustable glide bolts either on the key frame or
the bed.Sanding the front rail seems like a long and possibly futile
method.I seem to recall a method of cutting a saw curf in the front
rail to help lower the rise in the middle.Is this done from the top of
the rail,or bottom,or both.Do you shim and glue or just leave an open
slit in the front rail.I look forward to the lists opinions and
experience in this.                       Thanks Robin Olson RPT