Bedevilled by a Baldwin yet again

Paul McCloud pmc303@ricochet.com
Thu, 22 May 2003 20:50:48 -0700

 Don and Bob:

            Thanks for the feedback.   I agree fully that replacement of
the parts is the best course.  In this circumstance, the proper repair
in the time allotted wasn't possible.  It is a quick fix which I can't
say I'm proud of, and I may be chasing this thing at a later date.  I am
no piano engineer, and I realize that the design of the hammer butt is
time tested.  No question of redesign by me.  I was only concerned with
somehow getting this piano quieted down.  I've done the full butt
replacement route before, and I don't have a set handy.  Last time it
took many hours getting the old shanks out and regluing them in the new
butts.  I tried replacing the buckskin on a few, and it would have taken
much longer than full replacement.  I have never done this buckskin
repair before.  I'll be tuning the piano in the home in a few months,
and I'll see how it fares.

            Paul McCloud

            San Diego

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of BobDavis88@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 9:07 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Bedevilled by a Baldwin yet again

Paul McCloud writes:

What I did was to place a self adhesive felt dot (the kind you put under
objects you don't want to scratch the surface they sit on) about 3/8"
diameter on the back edge of the jack tip, with the felt just peeking
over the tip edge

Hi Paul,

While I applaud your creativity, often a design has been worked out over
many iterations, and small changes might have effects which we don't
foresee. Baldwin used an unproven material which failed later. However,
they still did not change the original design, which was to use the
friction and durability of the butt skin on the keystroke, and its
silencing capabilities on the return; and to use the angle of the
jack/butt engagement for a positive energy transfer while allowing the
(smooth, lubricated) jack tip to slip easily while not under pressure
(upon return).

In addition to the lack of durability of the stick-ons, it could be said
that your method makes other design changes, such as a difference in the
depth of engagement of the jack, as well as a significant difference in
the friction upon its return. I would guess that the repair time didn't
differ significantly from a return to the time-tested configuration.

Shortcuts which might compromise the function are almost never
cost-effective (or reputation-enhancing) in the long run, which is what
we have the pleasure to deal with. There are things in piano design that
can be improved, but I want to make sure I have considered all the
ramifications before I make a change - not because of respect for the
original designer, but because there might indeed be a good reason that
I just don't see. I have made a few thoughtless "improvements" which
have come back to bite me in the    .

Best wishes for a durable repair,
Bob Davis