1852 Chickering grand plate, 9'

J Patrick Draine draine@attbi.com
Fri, 23 May 2003 16:57:16 -0400

Mike,
If no "correct answers" are immediately forthcoming, I suggest you give=20=

a call to Darcy Kuronen, of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. He's the=20
Curator of Musical Instruments, and I understand that he knows quite a=20=

bit about early Chickerings (though I think he might consider this one=20=

"somewhat late"). I believe the MFA's phone number is (617) 369-3341.
Happy Hunting,
Patrick
On Friday, May 23, 2003, at 01:24  PM, Mike McCoy wrote:

> List,
> =A0
> =A0Looked at the above piano a customer has in his refinishing shop. =
The=20
> plate in mortised into the rim like some squares. Someone told him to=20=

> drill a million holes down through the inside of the rim and saw the=20=

> inner rim out to remove the plate, that doesn't seem right to me,=20
> seems that would make fitting a new board more difficult.=A0For those=20=

> who have dealt with this in the past, can the stretcher be removed and=20=

> the rim pushed apart slightly with a jack or whatever and the plate=20
> slid forward? Or knock the rim apart completely? Or am I the nutty=20
> one...
> =A0
> Mike
> =A0