Ahmad Jamal

Classic Touch Ent classictouchent@comcast.net
Sat, 24 May 2003 22:57:39 -0400

Hi Richard,

I spent some time reflecting on your post re: an appreciative Ahmad
Jamal (' nothing improves hearing more than praise' ) and the marked
difference in 'attitude' you have experienced between classical and
jazz pianists. One of the reasons I am studying posts on list (and
attempting to share my own experiences/perceptions) is to educate
myself (as a pianist) about my instrument. Learning about the
instrument helps me to understand limitations imposed by design and
materials, condition, regulation, artist ability, and artist
preference, and to be able to distinguish one from the other. Accurate
articulation and realistic expectation of my preferences is a benefit
of this education. It is a humbling process. I am hopeful that
performers and technicians will become more willing to collaborate in
each others education.

For an artist/performer to vent their frustration toward a technician
(especially in public) is not only ill mannered. It is very likely
unproductive.

Some perceptions/observations (not the same as justifications):

Historically, jazz artists acquire (they have to in order to survive) a
wider intonation tolerance.
Historically, classical pianists are coddled & too many people put up
with the outbursts.
In general I think jazz artists are more acclimated to a variety of
performance distractions.
I think classical pianists experience (real or perceived) greater
pressure for 'note perfect' performances than jazz pianists.
There are 'strictly solo' classical pianists than 'strictly solo' jazz
pianists. (A jazz pianist likely has much broader ensemble experience
than solo classical pianist. If you throw a fit at an ensemble gig you
distract and piss off other colleagues, and likely get direct feedback
about it!)

Hope you enjoyed the party.

and oh yeah, thank you for graciously sharing your knowledge/experience.

Best,

  Richard Lawrence Olmsted Jr. NRP