Ahmad Jamal

Sun, 25 May 2003 12:30:14 +0200

Dave Nereson wrote:

>           And regarding the thread re: classical vs. jazz
>      pianists, jazzers have to put up with pianos in much worse
>      shape than classical artists, and with noisier audiences,
>      and less certainty about receiving their money    --David
>      Nereson, RPT, & jazz & blues fan

Hmm .. outside of the real big concert venues, I am not so sure that
this is entirely true David. But one thing I have definatly noticed is
that Jazz players these past 20 years have been far more clever at
influencing arrangers to provide decent instruments that are at least
reasonably well prepared for a show. At least thats whats been happening
here.  They specify things in contracts I dont see classical players do,
and make it clear they will not perform unless all contractual
obligations are satisfied. For the Ahmad Jarad concert for example, the
seiral number of the instrument he was to play on was in the contract.
I'd not seen this before.

On the other hand, jazz arrangers have not been nearly as clever at then
insisting such instruments be treated with due respect. And this most
certainly includes light and sound crews as well as pianists. Burning
cigarettes laying on the keys, beer, wine etc in open glasses,  sitting
on and in expensive grands, crates and electrical items just thrown up
on the top, no protective covers used....  I keep trying to tell
festivals that I work with that they dont have to accept this, they can
do the same thing ... put clauses in contracts and simply not allow such
treatment.

Grin... limited sucess on that front.

Cheers

RicB