agraffes

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 26 May 2003 10:04:57 EDT

In a message dated 5/26/03 5:43:04 AM Central Daylight Time,
greyco@kingston.net writes:

> Two questions about agraffes...
>
> 1.) Are agraffes loose enough to be used as string spacers, an accident
> waiting to happen? ( new entry level grand on showroom floor ) Yes, the factory
> workers used the agraffes as adjustments for the trichord damper felt.

If agraffes are loose, they will create falls beats. There isn't enough room
in the holes to space the strings, but strings can be bent slightly to off set
them enough to adjust dampers.

> 2.) In a decent quality grand ( rhymes with hamburger ), on another showroom
> floor, would it be foolhardy of me to try to force a few misaligned agraffes
> far enough that the strings could be levelled in the same plane as the rest
> of them? These agraffes are tight, I could not budge them with the small
> agraffe tool that fits in the combination handle.

You can also level string slightly, by lifting them up with a string hook, or
tapping on the them. It won' t be much, but enough to level the three
strings.

But as far as aligning Agraffes, unless they are out of alignment, I wouldn't
try to do that, unless you know they are loose.

> Suggestions anyone?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Owen Greyling

Wim