9' Chickering plate

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Mon, 26 May 2003 12:09:51 -0400

>Here are some pictures of a 9' Chickering like the one mentioned recently
>on the list. The question is ,what is the best way to get the plate out
>of this piano. As you can see, the plate goes under the inner rim where
>there must be screws holding it in. Anyone ever removed a plate from a
>piano like this?

Nope. But...this looks the same in principle as how five octave
fortepianos used to be constructed. Here the soundboard goes in early
on glued to the framework which then has an outer "skin" glued to it
(thin, especially on the bentside). Along the bentside a false inner
rim was glued along on top of the soundboard, effectively doubling
the apparent thickness of the bentside rim. The construction was
often hidden by a moulding of some some glued on top of the rim edge
(but not always), or veneer along the top. It looks to me like the
Chickering is made the same way - substitute plate for  soundboard
and screwed down for glued. The false inner rim is then attached all
the way around  glued to the inside of the outer rim, probably for
aesthetic reasons and not structural. Is the top of the rim veneered?
Can't see in the photo. If I'm right you'd have to remove the inner
false rim to get the plate out, but if it's only a glued layer it
shouldn't be impossible. It's likely quite thin :-), or possibly half
the thickness of the rim :-(

I may be up the creek here, but can't think old Mr Chickering would
have gone to the trouble of mortising the plate into the rim....too
stupid.

By the way, on the larger fortepianos the soundboard was put in
later, although there was still a false inner rim on the bentside -
closely fitted curve, or some moulding to hide the gap, or don't care
if there's a gap here and there.

Who's is the Chickering? Is it for sale?

Stephen
--
Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos