Ahmad Jamal

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Mon, 26 May 2003 12:29:52 EDT

In a message dated 5/25/03 10:31:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
classictouchent@comcast.net writes:

> > Hi Rich!
>
> Hi Sarah (fascinating questions and observations)
> >
> > I wonder if some of the difference might be that jazz pianists are so
> > often envelope pushers -- in the same sense that Franz Liszt was an
> > envelope pusher.
> Do you mean in the composer, improviser or performer sense or all three?
> Are we talking composition, technique, 'sound' sculpture, voicing? all
> of them? The answers (observations, extrapolations, wags) could
> probably fill a book or two, hotly debated by all. Perhaps I'm
> misunderstanding the focus of the question, but it just seems there are
> so many variables many of which point in the 'which comes first, the
> chicken or the egg?' direction.

Rich, Sarah,

As somebody who hacks away a bit at both jazz and classical, I'll put in my
two cents.

Rich, I think that it's impossible to differentiate Liszt the composer from
Liszt the performer and Liszt the improviser.  All three are happening at the
same time.  That would also hold true for other envelope pushers of their
times, such as Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, etc..  It was that spontaneous creativity
that made the music sound so fresh, and that probably made the instruments they
played on woefully insufficient to get across what was going on in their
minds and hearts as they played/composed/improvised.

Classical music allows improvisation only in the interpretation(read:  not in
the notes, though some do take their liberties);  it makes sense to me that
that parameter(interpretive powers) has to be maximized by having the
instrument in absolutely it's most expressive possible condition(voicing, tuning,
regulation) for that interpretation to be fully realized.  In jazz, the notes are
always changing, and the performer concentrates on the notes being played AND
the interpretation of a piece.

When I play a jazz tune, the condition of the piano is far less important
than when I'm trying to articulate a Scarlatti Sonata marked "allegrissimo."  The
improvisation factor in jazz make it far easier to work around instruments
that might be of questionable quality.

On the other hand, having a great piano gives the improvistional artist a far
wider pallette to work with.  Would I rather gig on a Fazioli or an
Acrosonic?  That's a toughie....

Gotta go to work now.  Forgot to schedule a holiday for myself....:-)

Dave Stahl