spinet string repairs

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 26 May 2003 19:02:19 -0500

Horrors, no! Not to replace a string.

For bass strings, get a medium to large sized safety pin. Put the point
through the loop of the string and around the adjacent bass string. Close
the pin. Gently wiggle the pin and string down to the bridge. Lie down on
the floor. Unhook the pin, hanging on to the string loop. Place the loop on
the hitch pin. Use a medium-sized alligator clip (Radio Shack) to secure it.
Thread the string onto the bridge pins. Use another clip (or move the first
one) to the upper bridge pin. Stand up. Take end of wire and stretch to pin,
being sure it is not tangled up with other strings or, more likely, dampers!
Install string on pin. Take slack out of string but don't put any real
tension on it until you've checked and seated the string on the bridge and
tapped the loop down on the hitch pin. Remove clip(s). Pull the string up
with tension, but not to pitch. Reseat string at all termination points and
the loop. Bring to pitch + maybe 10 cents. Etc.

For trebles the procedures are the same except as follows:

Go to any auto parts store. Buy a straight piece of brake line tubing (Not
real thin or fat and about five feet long). Cut this in half. Weld, solder,
or epoxy (JB Weld is great) these pieces together, with the flared ends on
the same end and maybe a half-inch apart. Thread your wire from the flared
end out the bottom then back up to the top. Wire is cheap, leave a generous
amount to work with at the top (cut from the coil, so you have two free
ends) and a "loop" about 2" long at the bottom. Guide the rod down past the
dampers, lifters, etc. Hook the loop onto the hitch pin. Use alligator
clips--make dang sure it is secure. Stand up. Gently unsheathe the strings
by pulling the tube up and out of the piano--making sure to catch the
wires from under the tube tool BEFORE you have totally pulled it out so the
wires don't have a chance to twist like Chubby Checker! Alligator clip one
side to a convenient nearby string, install the other on the pin. Do
remember to thread the string under the pressure bar before putting it on
the pin--DASHIKI. Then install the other string and do the whole tensioning,
seating, stretching, thing.

The tool is cheap, easy, and cool.  Without it, the job is a nightmare.

Have fun. Brush your teeth. Write if you get a real job. Bye ...

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO