1899 Bechstein

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 26 May 2003 21:13:02 -0500

One little thought, re: heavy action, I'd check the air in those knuckles,
they could be riding a tad low! And then, of course, jack height and
alignment ... hmmm ... everything, I guess. Might be worth it to pull all
the hammers, clamp them between two boards and gang-shape the cups out, then
run each of them through the old sander to taper the tails (sides only) and
remove some weight.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Ken Jankura
Sent: Monday, May 26, 2003 8:43 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: 1899 Bechstein

Dear Omniscient Omnipotent List,

   I tuned my first Bechstein ever last week. 1899, rosewood, about 6'+
grand, very beautiful.  It just crossed the Atlantic from England, a gift
from the woman's parents. It has new hammers and I have a few questions. She
said she has a cousin over there who builds harpsichords and he may have
been the one to replace the hammers (uh oh.....). Not a bad job all in all,
though I didn't have time to really analyse it. New hammers, old
shanks/knuckles.  The 'cup' is still visible at the surface of the hammers,
so I don't think they were filed/prepped at all. The tails are arced and
checkered in line with the hammer, so all the backchecks are at angles to
match the hammers. Is this normal for Bechsteins? I know it's normal for
some Samicks :-)  The hammers didn't seem to be tapered at all. It plays a
little heavy and their son (who is quite good) is complaining.  I'm due to
plan to recommend tapering the hammers, or adjusting the strike weight
however, and a good regulation. Any tips or comments that might help?

Ken Jankura RPT
Fayetteville, PA