Ahmad Jamal

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Tue, 27 May 2003 01:22:05 -0400

Hi again, Rich,

Just a quick note before I disappear for a couple of days.  (I'll be out =
sailing :-)
  Do you mean in the composer, improviser or performer sense or all =
three?
  Are we talking composition, technique, 'sound' sculpture, voicing? all =
of them? The answers (observations, extrapolations, wags) could probably =
fill a book or two, hotly debated by all. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding =
the focus of the question, but it just seems there are so many variables =
many of which point in the 'which comes first, the chicken or the egg?' =
direction.

  I suppose I mean "all three" Liszts.  I'm thinking particularly of the =
limitations Liszt experienced from the slower repetition rates of =
earlier actions.  I understand he hungered for a faster, more nimble =
action, and he considered the modern repetition arm a godsend.  It =
opened up many more possibilities to him both in composition and =
performance.

    What they are able to write/perform depends very much on the =
technology beneath their fingertips.=20

  I'm sure that this is true much of the time, but some composers seem =
to conjure sounds, and textures, articulations, voicings, temperaments =
without regard to whether or not the instruments, technology, or =
performers are capable of producing it. Sort of 'I have this idea ( by =
the way the system for notating this hasn't been created yet) and I'll =
describe it as best I can: can you figure out a way to make it happen?'

  Ah, but in the end, the composer must make the music accommodate the =
technical limitations of the instrumentation, whatever they may be.  I =
don't think I've ever heard of a composer composing for an instrument =
yet to be created, although it almost wouldn't surprise me -- and I'd =
almost understand.  The weirdest thing I ever did was to write a piece =
that incorporated a bobbling hammer.  Of course it could only be played =
on *that* piano!

  Well, gotta go!  I have a very long day tomorrow, and we'll be up =
early to catch the tide.

  Peace,
  Sarah Diane Fox, Ph.D., NPT, NPR, NRP, ABCDEFG
  Soon to be in the Chesapeake=20