Stringing Braid and the perception of doing it right

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 28 May 2003 07:36:41 -0500

>That's my question: What is the purpose of stringing braid? If its purpose
>is to dampen overtones, aren't the overtones necessary in the production of
>sound?

It's a matter of degree. Long un-damped back scales in the mid and low
tenor can howl loud and long enough to be a problem. These days, I string
without braid, listen, and braid if and where I think it's necessary on a
piano by piano basis. Manufacturers can't do that. They have to specify
that braid goes to points somewhat beyond the statistically likely problem
areas and get on with it, even if it means damping back scales that
wouldn't have been a problem being left open.

Then, of course, they put in tuned rear duplexes (then partially braid
them), and tuned front duplexes that make more obnoxious noise than would
the back scales they braided. There's obviously a master plan at work
here... somewhere.

Ron N