Stringing Braid and the perception of doing it right

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Wed, 28 May 2003 10:18:44 EDT

My rule of thumb on braid is that if I pluck the tail and it goes "tnk" I
don't braid, and if it goes "tnnngk" I do. Tails can act like short, inharmonic
rods, particularly in the tenor and bass; and if they get excited by a note or
even a particular combination of notes, they can add an unpleasant, hard to
find resonance.

I service a D in a dead hall. This particular one had braid unusually far up
the scale, from the factory. I undid the braid down to the bass-tenor strut
and the tone livened up and relaxed noticeably. I went one note too far, though,
as there is a jump in the tail length where they go on the other side of the
strut, and the howl was audible. I rebraided that one note and it is
satisfactory.

Bob D