Stringing Braid and the perception of doing it right

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Wed, 28 May 2003 11:24:17 EDT

In a message dated 28/05/03 10:23:31 AM, charter1400@charter.net writes:

<< If it were easy to mute just individual strings, would you start with no

braid, and just try to identify the individual "zingers"?  I'm wondering if

this would result in more sustain, or a fuller tone, than with braiding

entire sections.

and
<<Adding mass could have more side effects (damping soundboard motion); what

about snap-on sleeves of some kind?>>

Cy;
 Back when I was in a particuarly anal retentative phase I tried using some
small bean bag type thingees in the shop....(velour filed with sand actually) I
used various sizes such as one note,  three note and six note lengths. So
reducing back length noise was simple and easy to move around.  The sound, as Ron
has said was changed and was a tad fuller overall. Worth the effort?? I am
ambivalent but remain open minded on the subject..I hope! :-)  String braid does
not truly dampen 'all' vibration in the back scale, rather it reduces it by
shortening the cycle???....this while still leaving the flexibilty for the
board/bridge to work with????
 If a particular thingee doesn't need braid then it is 'perhaps' better to
leave it out......but doing this should be a well considered and deliberate
decision.....
My view.
Jim Bryant (FL)