Backchecking Height and an incredible help

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Wed, 28 May 2003 16:36:57

Hi Antares,

If the hammer is checking too high it can impede the vibration of the
string. I suppose it is a function of the air being "compressed" in the
space between the hammer and the string.

At 07:51 PM 5/28/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>At one time (I'm sorry, I repeat myself here, but it is really a long
>time ago) my esteemed instructor Tsuji-san taught me to improve the
>volume of sound by adjusting the height of the CFIII-S back check to
>EXACTLY 2 mm. (it was much less because the back check was actually too
>high). Too my astonishment the sound suddenly was - significantly -
>louder.
>I have since cherished and used this trick during many occasions where
>an instrument was too soft due to whatever caused it.
>It is an incredible help for intoneurs too because it gives us an
>opportunity to improve and re-establish volume without fooling around
>with the hammer felt in what ever way.
>
>The funniest thing is (I remember this now) that up to now, nobody in
>Japan nor on this list, was able to explain this phenomenon.
>So let's give it a try again?
>
>Antares,
>The Netherlands

Regards,