Upright parts salvage

Paul Mulik tubist@swbell.net
Thu, 29 May 2003 09:28:16 -0500

Hello list,

When disposing of an old worthless piano, what parts are worth saving?  I've
got an old clunker of an upright that a relative dropped off at my house
when I was out of town for the day (wasn't that nice of him?  At least I
didn't have to help move it.)  This is one of those chopped-down "mirror"
jobs, with several coats of paint on it.

I figured on saving the action, the pedals, and the casters.  Should I keep
anything else?  Naturally, if it had ivory keytops I would save them, but
this particular gem has all plastic keytops (I guess I'll save a few of the
sharps).  The person who dropped it off told me that the old keytops were
down inside the bottom of the cabinet, so I opened 'er up and sure enough
there they were, but they're plastic too.  Why anyone went to the expense of
putting new keytops on this thing remains a mystery.

Paul Mulik