To dry or not to dry?

Charles E. Faulk cfaulk2@juno.com
Thu, 29 May 2003 14:39:56 -0500

Fellow rebuilders,

For about the fourth time in many years, I've started rebuilding a piano
with perfectly intact soundboard (Steinway Model M, 1916). It's amazing,
not a single hairline crack, not one loose rib. In years past if I found
such a board, I would go ahead and dry it down just out of pure anal
retentativeness (new word?), just 'in case ...' as it were. But now
looking at this well kept specimen, I question if I should do nothing
more than scrape off the old top varnish, refinish it, and call it quits.

Anybody have any thoughts on the subject?

Regards,

Charles Faulk
Manhattan, KS

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!