To dry or not to dry? Steinway 1915

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 30 May 2003 00:16:59 +0200

Hello,

Do one knows if these pianos where rib crowned, and if so, from what
moment they begin to glue on flat ribs.

I am assuming that the piano soundboards, as being initially derived
from harpsichord making, where made with crowned ribs since may be the
1930-40 years ?

Beside, if a piano seem to have a perfect condition as it is, one can
restring without pulling the frame out (I guess it is a safer way).

Even the lacquer may be refurnished with alcohol an a very little
lacquer. all depends of the crown/tone it have actually.

If plate may be dismounted, I'd be sure of the H.R control all the
time, I'd certainly not try to break it apart . And try to have the
plate back ASAP.

Euregards.

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.