Blood as a Pin Driving Fluid

Sat, 31 May 2003 09:10:25 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Avery Todd" <avery@ev1.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 31, 2003 2:38 AM
Subject: Re: Soundboard #001

> Ron,
>
> "My" problem when stringing isn't bleeding on the soundboard. It's
> bleeding in the tuning pin area, where it's more noticeable! :-)

Avery,

After extensive testing we have determined that blood dripped into the
tuning pin holes does not adversely affect tuning pin torque. In sufficient
quantities--it only takes a few drops so don't get carried away--it serves
as an excellent pin driving fluid. It seems to function as a lubricant
between the pin and the wood fibers helping to prevent excessive damage to
the fibers as the pin is driven home. As it dries tuning pin torque comes
back up nicely giving a nice smooth feel to the tuning pins as the piano is
tuned.

Any residue dripped onto the plate can easily be wiped off with a damp
cloth. Keep several handy.

Del