Dopey to dope?

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:21:31 -0600

Julie,

You've been given a lot of Very Good Advice on how to fix specific problems, each of which may or may not be the reason the piano will not hold a tuning.  The cart might be before the horse.   You've got to determine the cause before you implement (sell) a solution.   Might be loose pins, might be climate control, might be loose plate/pinblock screws, might be an un-skilled tuner, might be high friction/rust/kinks at v-bar or agraffes.  Might be a normal piano and a very picky or hard-playing owner.  Go in with an open mind, and check everything you can think of.  Did she state her opinion as to why it won't hold a tuning?  Did her previous tuner tell her why he/she thought it wouldn't hold a tuning?  When was it last tuned, and in what way(s) is it now out of tune?  You may have to tune the piano, and you may have to wait to see how your tuning holds up over time, before you know the answer to the riddle.  It's best to be honest with the customer about what you know and what you don't know, and about what kind of data/experience with her piano you're going to need before you can suggest a solution.  Good luck.

Mike

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 10/30/2003 9:29:27 PM
Subject: Dopey to dope?

Greetings,

            I have a lady I am going to see Monday who has a Kawaii grand that she claims will not hold a tuning. I never doped a pinblock before. If upon inspection the pins are loose, should I dope. Is this an unwise move?

             I hear  that doping only lasts for one tuning and then the obvious is inevitable, which I hear is a re-pin job. How loose must pins be to sanction a re-pinning?

Thanx,
Julie