Make a soundboard--Measurements

Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:20:49 -0800

Actually, that was my question, what did you use to make the pattern for
the targeted radii?  My guess is that you didn't stretch a string out 25',
50', 60' etc. and scribe an arc, or did you?  My thought was to take a
piece of wood of a predetermined length and secure it at one end to a piece
of wood that will become the caul.   Draw a line along its length.  Then
calculate the amount of deflection off the straight line for an arc of
given length on a circle of x radius.  Then push the ends together until
you get that amount, of deflection.  Scribe a line.  Cut it out.  Question
is, will a strip of wood when treated that way form into a perfect arc?
Any other suggestions would be helpful.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net